Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Shakespearean Sonnet 130

Shakespeare is telling the reader in Sonnet 130 about his lover. He is making it sound like the woman he is describing is ugly, but in fact it is the exact opposite. The woman he is describing is the most beautiful woman in Shakespears eys and he loves her. He understands that she is not perfect, but no one is. He descrides the woman by saying, "My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun; Coral is far more red than her lips;..." Lines 1-2. He is saying that her eyes are not like the sun, but no ones eyes is like the sun. He also goes on to say, "And yet, by heaven, I think my love is rare..." Line 13. He is telling us that he loves her even if she is not perfect as the things he is describing.
 This message is true. There are many beautiful women in the world that do not have the physical features that Shakepeare describes. Women have many different eye, skin, and hair colors, and they do not fly. They are human and they are beautiful no matter what some of their features are.  Their skin is not white as snow and their eyes are not anything like the sun.  They are not perfect in beauty, but that does not matter.  This shows that the message in Sonnet 130 is true.

3 comments:

  1. Very well said Andrew, but I think you should talk about how this theme is relevant in modern day times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I defiantly agree with Orrella. You should talk more about relevant in modern day times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have the right idea. I am a little confused about when you say "Women have many different eye, skin, and hair colors, and they do not fly." Where did you get "do not fly"? You have the same view on the sonnet as I do and I think you did a great job analyzing the poem.

    ReplyDelete